Holy Trinity

The Grade II listed church is of Victorian construction situated on the outskirts of Larkfield. The Church was built in 1854 and consists of a nave, south aisle, chancel, vestry and south porch.
There is a stone bellcote at the west end.

The challenge

The Chancel arch was rebuilt following collapse. The Church has ragstone walls with dressings of Bath Stone and is plastered internally. The nave, chancel and porch have tiled roofs and the aisle is now of slate. The north side vestry roof has a temporary felt covering following the theft of lead. The rainwater is collected into lead lined stone gutters and then into rainwater pipes and drains without gulleys.

Our solution

Its architectural style is Early English, plain but imposing from its massive simplicity. The lofty nave and chancel are largely uncluttered and retain a strong simplicity of form. The church is lit from five large pointed windows, an oriel, and clerestory windows. The stained glass in the east windows show eleven scenes from the life of Christ. The large, attractive and rather unusual wheel window at the west end contains stained glass showing figures from the Old Testament

The results

The last Quinquennial Report identified urgent works required to the stonework and guttering serious enough for the building to be put in the “At Risk” category. There are many incised joints to the Ragstone which has been completed resulted in sections of church walling collapsing. This was a Health and Safety issue and work has now begun to prevent any further collapse of the fabric.