Northgate Surgery

New facilities had become a necessity for the long established Watling Street Surgery which had occupied two medieval buildings in the centre of Canterbury since 1933.

Northgate Main Entrance

Our solution

Now with seven partners, a practice manager and practice nurses, the surgery had completely outgrown its premises. This new surgery building is located next to the site of the Roman Northgate and provides three floors of accommodation with eleven consulting rooms, three treatment rooms including a minor operations room, a health promotion suite, and extensive administrative support and staff facilities. A separate pharmacy building with apartments above also formed part of the project and serves to restore the building line of Northgate.

Northgate Interior

The results

The building is supported on a reinforced concrete raft foundation to avoid disturbing any underlying archaeological remains. Due to the close proximity of a busy roundabout serving several major roads, a passive ventilation system was installed to ensure constant air circulation without the noise pollution that would result from opening windows. The project included the external landscaping of the site as well as the interior design and fit-out of the surgery, right down to the detailed design of bespoke furniture.