The 15th century square perpendicular battlemented tower was in urgent need to structural masonry repairs. The tower clock face, with a dial dating from 1802, was in danger of detaching itself from the tower because the keystone holding the clock had cracked and half of it was missing.
A full photographic survey of all four sides of the tower was undertaken so that each stone could be marked up and sized to enable the preparation of an accurate specification of works and a contained and successful repair contractor.
As part of the two stage grant procedure, the tower was scaffolded and the stonework was closely inspected with stonemason, Pierra Restoration Ltd, and a schedule of replacement in natural stone agreed. The investigation of the tower during development stage of the grant showed that the Ragstone quoins, strings and openings were heavily weathered and badly fractured in places. The access and investigation provided by the two stage HLF grant process led to vital information being obtained about the condition of the stonework.